[CLN-list] Segfault when using univpoly

Ralf Goertz R_Goertz at web.de
Wed Mar 9 11:36:10 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 8. März 2005 16:13 schrieb Richard B. Kreckel:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Ralf Goertz wrote:

> > SuSE has a history of prematurely using new versions of gcc. But I
> > haven't been coding very much lately, therefore I'm not up to date with
> > the current development.
>
> Yes, I vaguely remember a problem of this kind.  But I am under the
> impression that it was with an earlier compiler.  Which version of SuSE is
> this?

It's SuSE 9.2.
Although I have programmed in c++, I am not an expert. Therefore, I might be
missing something. But when I tried to locate the unresolved symbols I found
e.g. in include/SV_number.h

struct cl_SV_number : public cl_SV<cl_number,cl_SV_any> {
};

Why "struct"? Shouldn't it be a class? I just changed it to "class" and at
least it is compiling (although in the library the symbol is still missing)

> Anyway, regarding your original problem: I've been chasing my tail for a
> while to find the memory leak that making the dtor non-virtual must surely
> introduce (because those objects _are_ deleted by base-pointer).  Well, it
> turns out there isn't one, because none of the dtors seems to be doing
> something special and simply freeing the memory is enough.  Still, I would
> like that to be _really_ fixed.

So would I. I'd like to do some Galois field computations, that's how I came
to try cln.

Ralf