[CLN-list] Why is cl_nt_sqrtmodp such a monster?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Fri Mar 11 07:57:23 CET 2005

I am trying to build cln-1.1.9 on OS X, and there's one file,
cl_nt_sqrtmodp.cc, that brings my poor G4 with a mere (!) 256MB of RAM
to its knees.  It took a machine with 750MB of RAM to compile this
monster.  Why is this?  The file is not particularly big, nor does it
appear on the surface to be doing anything particularly complicated.
Does anyone know what it is about this particular file that makes gcc
use so much RAM?

Thanks,
Ron Garret
ron at flownet.com