[CLN-list] Why is cl_nt_sqrtmodp such a monster?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Fri Mar 11 11:24:46 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Ron Garret wrote on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 07:57:23AM CET:
> >
> > I am trying to build cln-1.1.9 on OS X, and there's one file,
> > cl_nt_sqrtmodp.cc, that brings my poor G4 with a mere (!) 256MB of RAM
> > to its knees.  It took a machine with 750MB of RAM to compile this
> > monster.  Why is this?  The file is not particularly big, nor does it
> > appear on the surface to be doing anything particularly complicated.
> > Does anyone know what it is about this particular file that makes gcc
> > use so much RAM?
>
> Over here it's debugging info.  Setting CXXFLAGS=-O2 (i.e. removing -g)
> makes it go from 233K to 40K.  I'd guess compiler memory usage would go
> down as well.
>
> If you can find out why g++ creates such a lot of info, you might have
> success in complaining to the gcc folks.

Right, but first have to update to the newest compiler, of course!

I remember having seen such behavior during GCC 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3.  It was
only showing up on some selected platforms (like ia64, but not on i386).
I'm quite sure it's much better now.  So, please, upgrade your compiler or
be patient until Apple does it for you.

Regards