[CLN-list] CLN on OS X, linking problem

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Mar 14 19:09:33 CET 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 12:29 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> [ please excuse if this is a resend ]
>
> * Ron Garret wrote on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:27:22PM CET:
>> Finally got CLN to compile.  Whew!  But make check gives me this:
>
>> dyld: /Users/ron/devel/cln-1.1.9/tests/.libs/exam Undefined symbols:
>> ___gxx_personality_v0
>> __ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev
>> __ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev
>> __ZSt9terminatev
>> __ZSt4cerr
>> __ZStlsISt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIcT_ES5_PKc
>> __ZNSo3putEc
>
>> Googling indicates that this is a rather commonly encountered problem
>> having to do with the way that OS X partitions dynamic libraries into
>> namespaces, but I wasn't able to extract an actual solution from
>> anything I've found on this so far.  Any pointers would be
>> appreciated.
>
> Are you using cln with the provided libtool files?

Yes.

>   I don't know much
> about OS X, but quite a bit of darwin-related changes went into Libtool
> not too long ago.  It might help to update ltmain.sh and libtool.m4.
>
> But then again, I know cln uses some modified version of libtool, so
> I don't know whether anything would break.

Me neither, but this does seem to be a likely source of the problem.
The usual cause of this symptom is trying to link C++ code using gcc
rather than g++.  But I don't know the ins and outs of libtool.  Need
to find some time to read through the docs.  I'm a little surprised
that this is not a solved problem though.  Surely I'm not the first
person to have encountered this?

rg