[CLN-list] CLN on OS X, linking problem

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 09:06:05 CET 2005

Richard,

* Richard B. Kreckel wrote on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:07:10PM CET:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> [...]
> > Please try the trivial patch below.  Still, Richard please consider
> > updating libtool.

> As to updateing libtool.  Last time I tried (maybe two years ago) it
> turned out to be kinda nightmarish.  IIRC, it tried to link the shared
> library with ld -r and there appeared to be a superlinear algorithm
> somewhere.  I interrupted it after some hours when it had ony finished
> several hundred of the 855 objects.

For a decent bugreport this is missing
- the system this was observed on
- `configure' output, esp.
| checking the maximum length of command line arguments...
- the exact Libtool version used.

Most likely the superlinearity is due to the linker, not to Libtool.  If
there were a strong argument for trying better link schemes on systems
where they are available, that option might be considered.  But I have
to see them yet.

> I've no strong inclination to try again, after all since I'm still
> working on the cl_heap_modint_ring problem.  Of course, if someone
> else wants to give it a try and it works well, I'll apply patches.

Well.  A couple of months ago I put some patches into the HEAD version
of Libtool to make it link libcln.la more efficiently.  I did not work
on the piecewise linking part, because that did not happen to me.  For
the shell (libtool script execution) part, I did, however, cut the time
down to about 30% of the time libtool-1.5.x takes.

Now, I am not trying to make people use Libtool HEAD for production.
It's unreleased for a reason.  What I might try, given enough time, is
to get these changes into the next stable version eventually.  After
that, I might consider sending patches for CLN.

Regards,
Ralf