[CLN-list] GCC 4.3 (experimental) -O2 dislikes intparam.h

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues at gmx.de
Wed Dec 20 00:46:38 CET 2006

* Bruno Haible wrote on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:57:29PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > IIRC, GCC is entitled to think that the converted pointer points to
> > uninitialized data, and fill in whatever it likes.

> I think you are overstating the problem.

May well be that GCC isn't as mean as I portrayed it, and hopefully
won't ever be.  But it's not ISO C that forbids this interpretation.
I'm less fluent with C++ about whether the cast there makes more
guarantees.

My suggestion to use the corresponding unsigned types in intparam.c
was apparently flawed, as they can have more value bits.  I guess you
knew this already.

Cheers,
Ralf