[CLN-list] Re: CLN vs weird mixture of Cygwin and MinGW

Richard Haney rfhaney at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 20:03:02 CEST 2006

--- "Sheplyakov Alexei" <varg at theor.jinr.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 06:39:44PM -0700, Richard Haney wrote:
[...]
> > I chose to re-order those directories in PATH because of the
> > conflict with versions of rm.exe ,
> Aha, I see! Otherwise you can't remove files created by Cygwin's
> bash [and other utilities] (at least because of different
> pathname conventions used by Cygwin and win32).

Actually, the problem I noticed was that the non-Cygwin rm.exe was not
removing symlinks.  The non-Cygwin rm.exe requires the explicit
extension .lnk (which seems typically "hidden" in Cygwin utilities
output) in the name of the file to be removed; Cygwin rm.exe does not
require the .lnk extension.

> > If you insist on using Cygwin+MinGW, you need at least to

I'm still a bit puzzled by the concern about the mixture of
Cygwin+MinGW.  My Cygwin installation has no gcc or associated
binutils.  So I'm puzzled as to why you think there could easily be a
conflict.  The existence of two versions of rm.exe was the only
possible conflict for invocation (i.e., root) names in the two
directories "C:\Dev-Cpp\bin" and "C:\cygwin\bin" in PATH.  The first
directory contains MinGW gcc and associated (MinGW) binutils (as, ld,
ar, ...), and the second contains all the Cygwin stuff.  That stuff
seems pretty disjoint and independent between the two directories, and
in fact it seems hard to imagine why configure and associated scripts
would be concerned about the MinGW aspect of gcc and the associated
binutils.

Also, it is my impression that the "MinGW" ("mingw32") questions in the
configure and associated scripts are really concerned with whether the
MinGW "MSYS" package is being used (instead of Cygwin).  That reference
to mingw32 seems to have very little to do with MinGW gcc and its
associated binutils.  The MinGW "MSYS" package is in a different file
hierarchy ("C:\msys\1.0.10" on my computer) from the MinGW gcc and
associated binutils, even as distributed entirely in the official MinGW
packages.

So with this idea in mind, it seems that "--hosts=mingw32" (or any
mingw32 variation) is a mistake.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Richard Haney