[CLN-list] Overriding read_number_bad_syntax on OS X

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Sat May 12 21:11:44 CEST 2007

Hi!

Ron Garret wrote:
>> When CLN was written, exceptions were not a mature specification nor
>> technology: rethrowing an exception was undefined behaviour, and
>> g++ created huge code when used without "-fno-exceptions". This has
>> probably
>> changed meanwhile...
>

> OK, but why hard-code a call to exit instead of (say) a user-
> specifiable callback or something like that?
>
> Is cln still being actively maintained?  Can I submit a patch?

Sure you can! Frankly, I would much prefer throwing an exception than
the present form of "user specifialble callback".

However, I am very curious about the overhead incurred by compiling CLN
without -fno-exceptions. If that really turns out to be negligible, I am
all for throwing exceptions as that is so much more convenient. I
suggest to start looking for the destructor overhead.

Best wishes