[CLN-list] Build problems on Solaris 8

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Thu Nov 8 23:51:19 CET 2007

Hi!

On 2007-05-26, I wrote:
> Robert W. Johnstone wrote:
>> I've tried building CLN 1.1.13 on a machine using Solaris 8.  I'm
>> having difficulty getting the library to pass all its tests.
>>
>> I've tried building CLN using gcc 4.1.1, with the following
>> combinations of flags: "-O", "-O1", and "-O1 -fno-schedule-insns".
>
> AFAIK, -fschedule-insns is not enabled with -O. And since -O is
> equivalent to -O1, those options are all the same.
>
>> The library fails many of the integer_floor_tests.  I've attached the
>> log from running tests/exam.
>>
>> Additionally, I've tried compiling with gcc 3.4.0 with the flags "-O
>> -fno-schedule_insns".  The library then fails sfloat_mul_tests 72
>> through 75.
>>
>> I'm uncertain what would be causing the errors.
>
> I've not used CLN on SPARC for a long time. But when I did, it was with
> CLN 3.1.1 and it passed the testsuite. Could you, please, try that
> compiler and tell us if it passes the testsuite? If it does, then we
> know for sure that GCC is to blame.

I had the opportunity to do some testing on a SPARC machine and it turns
out that CLN is indeed broken. However, if one configures with
CPPFLAGS="-DNO_ASM" it works fine and passes all checks.

One thing that is sure broken are the functions in cl_low.h that use the
_get_g1 macro. It appears like %g1 contains garbage. Googling around I
was unable to find any useful information. Is there some SPARC expert
who can provide insight into what's going on?