[CLN-list] (library) version info is still incorrect (?)

Ralf Wildenhues Ralf.Wildenhues at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 23:52:36 CEST 2008

Hi Richard,

* Richard B. Kreckel wrote on Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 11:00:01PM CEST:

> Really?!? Let's read what the libtool documentation has to say about its
> versioning system. Hmm, yes, I see...

> The net result is that soname-wise, libcln.so.7 directly follows
> libcln.so.5. Quite confusing. Is that really the intent? Or am I
> supposed to decrement CL_CURRENT again?

FWIW, I haven't looked closer at your actual issue here, but:
The libtool naming scheme cannot guarantee that on all systems, the
numbering is consecutive.  It only guarantees that it is increasing.
This doesn't matter, though: there is not incurred cost for numbers
that are omitted, except for shrinking the available space of
leftover numbers.  Not something you need to worry about yet.  ;-)

> If I had done this the way libtool suggests, we would already have
> libcln.so.21 or so. After all, this is C++, where library interfaces are
> usually less stable than in C.

There's nothing wrong about libcln.so.21, though.

Cheers,
Ralf