[CLN-list] future GCC 4.3 and modules.h

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Fri Jan 4 23:09:42 CET 2008

I wrote:
> I'm beginning to think that it should be possible to solve this in the
> old software engineering way: introduce another layer of indirection in
> order to present a unique name for shared and static library to the
> compiling application and only distinguish between PIC and non-PIC
> inside the library proper. I'll give it a try and report on it later
> this day.

So, CL_REQUIRE can't call the global ctors directly, because it doesn't
know what the symbol name is. Only CL_PROVIDE and CL_PROVIDE_END do know
that. But, it doesn't appear to be possible to introduce another layer
of indirection in CL_PROVIDE like the attached patch tries to. It leads
to an infinite loop in the global ctors. Right now, I've run out of ideas.