[CLN-list] modular polynomials

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Sat Sep 27 15:20:49 CEST 2008

Dear Jens,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 07:44:09PM +0200, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> my problems with cl_UP_MI seem to boil down to what happens in the
> following code fragment:

> 	umod c = a;

cl_UP is actually a pointer to a coefficient vector. This assignment creates
the pointer c which points to the same data as a. That's probably not what
you want. Perhaps you meant

	c = a.ring()->create(degree(a));
	for (std::size_t i = 0; i <= degree(a); ++i)
		c.set_coeff(i, a.coeff(i));
	c.finalize();

> So, my question to the developers is now: WTF?!?!

Wrong expectations from the user side.

@ developers:

Actually the semantics is a bit weird. Should we implement operator= which
"just works"? Or at least document the current behaviour?

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.