[CLN-list] CLN repository, the fork, and all that

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Wed Feb 4 22:27:33 CET 2009

Hello,

Here is some information about the immediate future.

I've traded the CVS repository for a git repository. The CLN web page
informs about how to obtain the current sources and how to build them.

Actually, that is a clone of the CVS-to-git conversion done by Alexei
Sheplyakov, who announced it as a fork on this list a while ago. Alexei
has explained that he intends to continue to contribute to CLN.
Technically, he will do so by sending requests to pull from his
repository. After all, that is how git is designed to work. In this
spirit, all his patches to make CLN less dependent from GCC are already
in the current repository. Kudos to Alexei for making this possible.

Everyone is invited to give the current version a test. Please report
any problems you may find. Please send reports to this list. Better yet,
send patches!  ;-)

My immediate plan is to prepare a release at around the time GCC-4.4 is
  released. Due to some minor header problems, CLN-1.2.2 won't compile
on that new compiler version. Since Alexei's work made changes to the
ABI, the new release will have to increment the soname version.

Cheers