[CLN-list] msvc support patch

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Sun May 10 13:57:46 CEST 2009

Hello Michael,

Regarding whether it is permitted to distribute GPLed software (such as
CLN or libreadline) in the same installer with Microsoft runtime libraries:

On 2009-04-21 I wrote:
> I have written to licensing at fsf dot org, asking them about the apparent
> contradiction between these clauses of the GPL and their FAQ. I'll let you
> know about the outcome.

Brett Smith's answer is:

> My argumentation is as follows:
>
>   - The libraries msvcr80.dll etc. are not part of a plain Windows
> installation.
> > (That's precisely the reason why the people distributing said
> installers
> > added them.)

While it is true that these libraries aren't installed with Windows by
default, they accompany the compiler used for these programs, so in
general it should at least be possible for them to qualify as system
libraries under both GPLv2 and v3.  However, I think you're right that
specific license terms in both versions of the GPL preclude people from
going so far as to include these libraries as part of the object code
for GPLed programs.

Brett Smith
Licensing Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation