[CLN-list] automake-1.14 dependency

Luc de Jonckheere lsdejonckheere at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 14:38:45 CET 2019

Hi Bruno and Richy,

Sorry for the late respons.
I didn't expect both developers to respond so quickly!

I used the cln-1.3.4.tar.bz2.
I have the all the required build tools installed and updated (to the
latest version in the Arch repo).
The commands used (from /path/to/project/lib/cln-1.3.4):
$ /path/to/src/cln-1.3.4/configure --prefix=/path/to/project/lib/cln-1.3.4
--with-gmp=/path/to/project/lib/gmp-6.1.2 --enable-static --disable-shared
$ make
 cd /path/to/source/cln-1.3.4 && /bin/sh
/path/to/src/cln-1.3.4/autoconf/missing
automake-1.14 --foreign
/path/to/source/cln-1.3.4/autoconf/missing: line 81: automake-1.14: command
not found
WARNING: 'automake-1.14' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified 'Makefile.am' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'automake' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
make: *** [Makefile:488: /path/to/source/cln-1.3.4/Makefile.in] Error 1

While trying to reproduce the error, I also got the same error but with
aclocal-1.14 instead of automake-1.14.
I have 1.16 installed for both of these tools.

If there is anything else I should check which might help you, just ask.
I'm sorry if this problem is related to my system specific, however, I did
find some occurances of "1.14" in the configure script and the aclocal.m4.
When I install automake-1.14, I don't have any problems, so the rest of the
build process works fine.

With kind regards,

Luc