[CLN-list] new release

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at in.terlu.de
Sun Mar 5 23:40:06 CET 2023

Dear Bruno,

On 3/5/23 21:59, Bruno Haible wrote:
> I would say, it's time to make a release.

Fine, let's do it!

(I was just wondering about when the last tag was placed in CLisp...)

>                                           In my understanding
>    - It would be good to upgrade to Autoconf 2.71 and Libtool 2.4.7,
>      since these releases include a large number of fixes.

That should happen automatically with what's in git, I think.

>    - Then I offer to spend a day or two testing the thing on the
>      current set of platforms, with current compilers (from Linux/arm
>      over Solaris 11 to Android, with g++ 12 and clang 15, etc.)

Good idea. Let's first see what the current status is.

FWIW, Debian's status is at
<https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cln> where architectures
hppa, sparc, sparc64, arm, armel, and armhf were built with -DNO_ASM for
various reasons. For arm*, this should not be necessary any more, I dare
to hope.

> "just tell people to build off from git" increases the installation
> effort, compared to a release tarball. Distros like Debian also prefer
> a release tarball, I think?

Well, personally, with my distro maintainer hat on, I do appreciate
clearly defined releases.