polynomial arithmetic over ginac

Parisse Bernard parisse at mozart.ujf-grenoble.fr
Sat Aug 19 21:33:49 CEST 2000

"Richard B. Kreckel" a écrit :

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Parisse Bernard wrote:
> [...]
> > Yes, but I prefer Hermite's method, I believe it "factorizes" in
> > some sense the linear algebra operations of Horowitz' method.
>
> Sorry, I do not understand that statement.  Could you elaborate a
> bit, please?

I mean, instead of solving one large linear system, you make k (where
k is the exponent of the denominator) small steps, each step using
the *same* Bézout identity to reduce the exponent of the denominator
by one. One big advantage is that you do not need to write the
linear system. I don't know if one method is better than the other,
I would bet it's the same complexity (constants might differ depending
on implementations...)