[GiNaC-devel] versions and branches (was: release)

Alexei Sheplyakov alexei.sheplyakov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:41:19 CET 2010

Hello!

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 08:24:55AM +0100, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:

> * Distros don't like library soname changes. Let's stick to the
> current one as long as possible.

I agree. However, I was discussing a different problem. As of now we have
a branch per SONAME. I don't think it's a good idea (does this really help
packagers? I really doubt it), it just imposes additional maintenance work
(like cherry-picking *all* patches from one branch to another). Therefore
I propose to get rid of those branches, and indicate binary-incompatible
changes in a standard way, that is, by updating the SONAME (or whatever it
is on $OS). This doesn't mean we should break ABI as often as we can.
Any objections?

Best regards,
	Alexei