[GiNaC-devel] versions and branches

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Fri Dec 10 15:25:16 CET 2010

Hi Alexei,

Am 10.12.2010 14:42, schrieb Alexei Sheplyakov:
>> If we merge, 1.5.x will suddenly be on master, and one would have to
>> monitor any commits on master then for their relevance to 1.5.x.
>>
>> Then somebody commits an ABI-breaking patch and we would have to
>> recreate another branch for the "new" 1.5.x code.

at that point I was still arguing against the proposal as I had it
understood before explained it in detail, but anyway ...

> No, we won't create any branches just because of the ABI changes.
> Instead we update the version info (ginac_lt_current, ginac_lt_age,
> ginac_lt_revision) *just before making the release*, and that's it.
> This doesn't mean we'll break ABI at whim.

okay, that's clear now. I support your proposal. It makes sense. But
probably we should announce this policy change somehow. I could do this
in the next release announcement email.

Now, technically, do you merge and we (richy or myself) pull, or should
we merge, or ... ? Who is leading the revolution?

Regards,
Jens