Undefined symbols for ginsh

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ThEP.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE
Wed Jan 19 19:36:18 CET 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jeff Greco wrote:
[...]
> make[2]: Entering directory `/dumptruck/GiNaC-0.4.1/ginsh'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2  -o ginsh  ginsh_parser.o
> ginsh_lexer.o ../ginac/libginac.la  -lcln -lstdc++
> g++ -g -O2 -o .libs/ginsh ginsh_parser.o ginsh_lexer.o
> ../ginac/.libs/libginac.so -lcln -lstdc++ -lcln -lstdc++
> -R/usr/local/lib
> Undefined			first referenced
>  symbol  			    in file
> rl_basic_word_break_characters      ginsh_parser.o
> rl_readline_name                    ginsh_parser.o
> filename_completion_function        ginsh_parser.o
> completion_matches                  ginsh_parser.o
> rl_completion_append_character      ginsh_parser.o
> rl_line_buffer                      ginsh_parser.o
> rl_attempted_completion_function    ginsh_parser.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/ginsh
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [ginsh] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/dumptruck/GiNaC-0.4.1/ginsh'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/dumptruck/GiNaC-0.4.1'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

These are all symbols from libreadline.  Please find the place this
library is sitting at on your system and link explicitly against it by
adding either -lreadline or /path/to/readline.a to the command that
starts with `g++ -g -O2...' above.  If you cannot find this libaray, you
may get it from <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/readline/>, compile and install it.
HTH.  (BTW: It's only ginsh that uses libreadline for command-line
editing, completion and such.  The rest of GiNaC works without it.)

Regards
     -rbk.

PS:  BTW, you have probably received warnings like this one when
     configuring GiNaC:
     checking for readline/readline.h... no
     checking for readline in -lreadline... no
PPS: Just to make sure, since you have the SPARC/EGCS-2.91.xx combination:
     You did add `-O2 -fno-schedule-insns' to the CXXFLAGS when you
     compiled CLN, didn't you?  Personally, I don't know of anybody
     who has tried out GiNaC on such a system yet, but I don't know why
     it shouldn't work.  Can you please drop me a note when you find out
     it's working?
--
Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>