collect problem

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Sat Oct 14 12:27:13 CEST 2000

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Ben Sapp wrote:
> I have program that crashes when it uses the collect function of the ex
> class.  The strange error I receive is:
>
> Not a 32-bit integer: -9223372028264841216

This error comes originally from the CLN function cl_I_to_L() to convert
objects of class cl_I to 32-bit integers.  In GiNaC this happens when you
call the method numeric::to_int().

> I am able to print both the expression and the symbol I am going to use
> for the collect call before hand and all seems fine.    I archived the
> symbol and expression just before I knew it would crash and I can look
> at the function with viewgar.  However if I make a program that uses
> collect on the expression I get the same strange error and the program
> exits.    Is this a bug in GiNaC?  Is it a bug in my software?   What
> could be causing this?   How can I fix it?

We could call it: "GiNaC ran out of spec here".  Don't know at the moment
how to fix it.  Please read on...

> I have attached the archive file and the source to the program that
> reads the archive file.   I did not give the source to the software that
> originally produced it because it is a function that is dynamically
> linked with another program.(GNU Octave)

The archive file is somewhat strange.  I get:

higgsino:~/projects$ viewgar foobar.gar
The symbol = x
foobar.gar: class 'name' not registered

Is 'name' one of your classes?  What's going on here?  Can you just print
the expression and mail it as it seems to be quite small?

Luck
Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>