[GiNaC-list] Re: ginac parsing from string issue (hopefully nailed!)

Sheplyakov Alexei varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Jul 12 20:19:16 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 06:57:53PM +0200, Francesco Biscani wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 18:38, Jens Vollinga wrote:
> > Maybe you didn't use new bison for the compilation. That depends on
> > whether you used 'make clean' or removed the old compilation directory
> > completely. The problem lies with 'make clean' (this is maybe not a
> > feature but a bug?!?). 'make clean' doesn't remove the files "input_*"
> > in the directory 'ginac'. Those are generated by bison and incorporate
> > the bug in my opinion. Unless you delete these files by hand, they won't
> > be re-generated by the newly installed bison.
>
> I don't think that this is the case. I compiled ginac using the
> gentoo "portage" package manager, which erases the source directory every
> time it has finished compiling something. There is no garbage left from
> previous compilations.

There is a copy of input_parser.{cc,h} in the GiNaC tarball. These files
have been generated with bison version 1.875d (as the very first line
indicates). However, from the make's point of view they are up-to-date
(since make only looks at the timestamps and have no idea that code
depends on version of bison).

> I also checked that the bison version is really 2.3, and that there are no old
> binaries lying around.

> > What puzzles me is that you upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3. After some
> > checking I found that the last working version of bison is 2.0a. 2.0
> > fails. If you look at the release dates of 2.0 and 2.0a you will find
> > that the gcc 4.0 release lies just in between ... Sadly, there are no
> > explicit remarks about a related bug in the Changelog of bison (but
> > maybe I've overseen it somehow), so I don't know about its nature and
> > how it has been fixed.

Since make does not even try to rebuild files, the actual version of
bison on *user's machine* does not really matter.

> I'm not familiar with the intricacies of bison and friends, so I don't quite
> understand how it relates to the compiler and ginac. But please tell me if I
> can do more tests, I'll be an happy guinea pig :)

Could you please
1. unpack GiNaC tarball,
2. remove ginac/input_parser.{cc,h}
3. run ./configure --disable-static CXXFLAGS="-O2 -g" && make && make check

Best regards,
 Alexei.

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.