[GiNaC-list] [patch] Document that shared libraries are not supported on some weird platforms

Richard Haney rfhaney at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 22:51:43 CEST 2006

Sheplyakov Alexei wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:45:13PM +0200, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
[...]
> > [[...]] Actually, you *can*
> > specify the prefix at the make install step by saying make install
> > prefix=/path/to/whereever.
> Do you mean "make install DESTDIR=/some/weird/dir"?

A perusal of the root Makefile shows that the juxtaposition
"$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)" appears in many places throughout the Makefile
and that "bindir" is defined in terms of "exec_prefix", which is
defined in terms of "prefix", which is defined as the value set with
the "--prefix=..." option on the configure command line.  (In
ginac/Makefile, "$(DESTDIR)$(libdir)" occurs throughout the Makefile
with a similar dependence of "libdir" on the value of configure's
"--prefix=..." option.)

So it seems that "make install DESTDIR=/some/weird/dir" would only work
as intended if "--prefix=..." was not specified on the configure
command line.

But has anyone tested this use of "DESTDIR"?  The readline library
build's INSTALL document mentions this as a way to install its library,
but I figured that since the GiNaC documentation didn't mention this,
it may perhaps be only a nonfunctional vestigial remnant from the
origins of GiNaC build components.

If this use of "DESTDIR" does work in place of specifying
"--prefix=..." on the configure command line, shouldn't this fact be
mentioned in the GiNaC installation write-up?  It would simplify things
considerably.

Or if this use of "DESTDIR" only works when "shared" libraries are not
built, shouldn't this fact be mentioned in the installation write-up,
especially in the case of MinGW-based builds, where DLL-building is not
currently supported?

Richard Haney