[GiNaC-list] Please stop BSD-versus-GPL flamewar!

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Jan 2 12:31:29 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 09:29:25PM +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> I know that you are afraid of having a flamewar and thus you try not to touch
> this issue. :) But I am not afraid - flamewar happens if one cannot discuss.

In mathematics different axiomatics give rise to (completely) different
theorems (cf. Euclidean geometry versus Lobachevskian one). Arguing how
to prove some theorem within particular axiomatics is a discussion.
Arguing which axiomatics is "better" is a flamewar.

> But we are just stating each other's opinions, and that's not a flamewar.

I'm afraid it *is* a flamewar, since we are discussing definition of freedom.
It's even worse than discussing different axiomatics, since the notion of
freedom is inherently subjective.

> I think things and especially things like this should be discussed. Rationally.

Could you *please* find another mailing list for "BSD versus GPL" flamewars?
Or add [BSD-versus-GPL-flame] to a subject, so I can easily redirect those
mails to /dev/null.

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.