[GiNaC-list] extending the symbol

nomad gkmohan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 10:36:42 CEST 2008

nomad wrote:

> Alexei Sheplyakov-2 wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to do it as follows
>>> 1) extend a symbol to a vector
>>
>> I don't think it's a good idea. Symbol is something simple and in a sense
>> "atomic". Also it's quite performance and memory critical. You'd better
>> use the clifford class.
>>

> I need to think about this.

It is now somewhat clear to me how to proceed. I will represent a vector by
a vector symbol, a basis symbol and possibly fixed size. I will represent
scalar and vector products as separate products different from '*'. When
substitutions are made for the vector symbol and basis symbol, I will
evaluate the scalar and vector products.

One thing that is not clear to me however is indexing into vectors. If we
have vector A and B, what should something like A.0 * B.1 signify? Should
indexing be supported at all?