[GiNaC-list] Use of STL iterators in GiNaC

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:10:06 CEST 2009

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Michael,

> I'm trying to compile ginac-1.5.1 with VC++ under Windows.
> I know "I should get myself a better compiler", but that being
> said, I've encountered runtime problems due to usage of
> STL iterators that might be wrong, essentially on std::vector.
>
> Problems I've noticed are: dereferencing end(), incrementing
> end(), decrementing begin()...

Up to VS 2003 these operations did not cause any trouble and behaved
just like gcc. Since 2005 those lead to pointers in hyperspace and cause
segfaults. I am not sure what the C++ standard says about such operations.

> I'm currently tracking down these issues by running the test
> suite in the source package, but this might not catch all of them.
> If you are interested, I can send a patch once I succeed to run
> the test suite completely.

Cool. I am not a contributor to the ginac project, but I would love to
see your patch.

> Bye,
> Michael.

Cheers,