[CLN-list] Difficulty building rpm of CLN

galen gseaman2186 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 17:00:18 CEST 2010

I am working on an updated rpm of your library for PCLinuxOS. I was
hoping for some assistance, as I am running out of ideas. I appreciated
any attention you may offer to this problem. Thanks for this library.

First of all, I can build the library successfully using ./configure,
make, and make install. However, when I try to build it with a spec
file, it comes up with all kinds of errors. I started with the spec
PCLinuxOS spec file for 1.1.13, then looked for clues from Mandriva,
Fedora and the included cln.spec.in.

Here seems to be the environment created for building the rpm:

+ CFLAGS='-O2  -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-march=i586 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'
+ export CFLAGS
+ CXXFLAGS='-O2  -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-march=i586 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'
+ export CXXFLAGS
+ FFLAGS='-O2  -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-march=i586 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'

Here are the errors when I build without any other modifications:

checking whether build environment is sane...
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCCAS does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am:   The usual way to define
`am__fastdepCCAS' is to add `AM_PROG_AS'
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am:   to `configure.ac' and run
`aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
src/Makefile.am: Preprocessed Assembler source seen but `CCAS' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:   The usual way to define `CCAS' is to add `AM_PROG_AS'
src/Makefile.am:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
src/Makefile.am: Preprocessed Assembler source seen but `CCASFLAGS' is
undefined
src/Makefile.am:   The usual way to define `CCASFLAGS' is to add
`AM_PROG_AS'
src/Makefile.am:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
./configure: line 4759: CL_AS_UNDERSCORE: command not found
./configure: line 4760: CL_AS_NOEXECSTACK: command not found
./configure: line 4762: syntax error near unexpected token `autoconf'
./configure: line 4762: `                      CL_CANONICAL_HOST(autoconf)'
make: *** [config.status] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
error: Bad exit status from /home/galen/src/tmp/rpm-tmp.68019 (%build)

RPM build errors:
     Bad exit status from /home/galen/src/tmp/rpm-tmp.68019 (%build)

 From this output, I've tried adding:

echo 'AM_PROG_AS' >> configure.ac
aclocal
autoconf

just before %configure.

This leads to other errors which I'll gladly outline if necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any feedback would be
appreciated.

Galen