[GiNaC-list] I could not find headers for libreadline

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Sun Jan 27 20:00:16 CET 2008

Hayk Gabrielyan wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm new user of linux. I've installed an Ubuntu 7.10. I need to
> install  Ginac for some scientific programs. But I get this problem
> while doing "./configure"
>
> ===The following minor problems have been detected by configure.
> ===Pleas check ....
>
> === I could not find the headers for libreadline (needed for building ginsh).
>
> ===I could not find libreadline (needed by ginsh).
> ------------------------
> I've read the Install file and Common problems. I found that there is
> installed libreadline5.2-3build1

Usually GNU/Linux packagers pack binaries and development stuff in
separate packages.  For example, with RedHat-style packages, there's a
PACKAGENAME package with dynamically linkable libraries, and a separate
PACKAGENAME-devel with statically linkable libraries and headers.  For
example:

bash-3.00$ rpm -qa | grep readline
readline-devel-4.3-13
readline-4.3-13

You also need the -devel package to have header files.  Note that with
Ubuntu the naming conventions could differ slightly.

p.