[GiNaC-list] Re: I could not find headers for libreadline

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Sun Jan 27 20:18:16 CET 2008

Hello!

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:54:36PM +0400, Hayk Gabrielyan wrote:

> I'm new user of linux. I've installed an Ubuntu 7.10. I need to
> install  Ginac for some scientific programs. But I get this problem
> while doing "./configure"
>
> ===The following minor problems have been detected by configure.
> ===Pleas check ....
>
> === I could not find the headers for libreadline (needed for building ginsh).
>
> ===I could not find libreadline (needed by ginsh).
> ------------------------

If you don't intend to use ginsh, you can safely ignore this warning.

> I've read the Install file and Common problems. I found that there is
> installed libreadline5.2-3build1

As explained in the `INSTALL' file, you also need -dev package (that is,
if you really want to use ginsh). Debian (etch) package is called
libreadline5-dev. I don't use Ubuntu myself, but I guess the package
name should be the same.

> configure:22223: checking readline/readline.h usability
> configure:22240: g++ -c -g -O2  conftest.cpp >&5
> conftest.cpp:63:31: error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
> configure:22246: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:

[snipped]

> what is the problem?

libreadline5*-dev package (which contains readline headers and libreadline.so
symlink) is missing on your system.

> p.s. I don't know can I attach for example config.log file in my mail?

In fact, it's a good idea to do so.

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.